[Paraview] ParaView 3.8.1 hangs on select points/cells for plugin-generated multiblock data set

Karl König kkoenig11 at web.de
Wed Nov 24 03:04:48 EST 2010

Hi all,

I've a multiblock reader plugin which behaves nicely in Unix
environments (Linux and Solaris, 32 and 64bit), but seems to cause
problems under Windows (XP and 7, 32 and 64bit, compiled with Visual
Studio 2008 SP1 against official PV Development release):
Importing the data, viewing the data and exporting the data to different
file formats (e.g. as *.vtm) and importing that data again into ParaView
works without any problem, but whenever I use SelectCells or
SelectPoints from the selection toolbar and lasso select an area from an
object imported by this reader, ParaView hangs - under Windows, not in a
Unix environment. If, however, one applies a MergeBlocks filter first
and then lasso selects an area, there is no problem.

I boiled down the reader to a minimal test case, it's more or less a
mere source now (but still implemented as a reader) and am attaching the
source code. Once compiled, it will integrate into paraview and offer to
open any file named *.mini (there is one in subdirectory sample-input).
The content of the file is completely ignored, instead a multiblock
containing one unstructured grid with exactly one cube is created. This
is enough to trigger the problem.

I'd like to know whether this is a problem with the ParaView Windows
builds or whether I am misconstructing a multiblock data set which
somehow confuses only Windows builds. I tend to believe the latter (as a
data object generator source using the program "MB { UG1 }" does not
cause ParaView to hang when trying to select something), but have no
idea what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks a lot for any feedback
Karl