[Paraview] Bonds representation

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:09:08 EST 2010

Hey Jean-François,

You should be able to do it, but you'll have to have the right elements in your data to work with. (I'll attach a screen shot that I think is the type of thing you're referring to. You can see the pipeline I used to create it, too, where the Curvature filter is just used to generate some scalars for my cone.)

If you only have the points themselves, then it may be difficult to generate the correct lines between them. If you also have the lines between them as part of the geometry you're loading into ParaView, then you can use the Tube filter to represent those bonds with size and color proportional to the values _at the end points that define the lines_. I haven't used the Tube filter very much, but it looks like e.g. if you have two points which define a polydata line, it ignores "cell data", which would be defined on the line itself connecting the points, but it can use the "point data", which would be an attribute defined on the two points at the ends of the lines... (If you only have scalar attributes defined on the lines, you can always run the data through Cell Data to Point Data filter before creating the tubes.)

So, it may take a little playing around, but it should be quite possible. Just make sure you specify your data in a way that defines the connections between points, as well as the points themselves.

Good luck,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group