[Paraview] Normal Glyphs and Cullbackface give different results

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 17 09:58:46 EST 2010

I was checking some results on a triangular surface mesh that was
generated through an external program and I have some conflicting
results. If I use the "Backface Style" section of the "Display" tab to
set the Backface Representation to "Cull Backface" I see some of the
triangles disappear which is to be expected if the surface meshing
program did not correctly "wind" the triangles. I then applied the
"Normal Glyph" filter and I would have expected to see some arrows
pointing at me and some away but they are all in the same direction.
See attached image.
   My question is this expected? Does the Normal Glyph use the same
algorithm as the CullbackFace? I'll assume that the CullBackface is
just an OpenGL setting so ParaView really has no control over that.

  Or maybe I am just really misunderstanding what is going on. Any
comments or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio