[Paraview] VTU vs. Exodus: "play" through list of files

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 17 00:15:13 EST 2010

Just to complete the thread, a time series of Exodus files is generally called Exodus restarts.  The feature for reading the restarts is documented on the Wiki:

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Restarted_Simulation_Readers#Exodus

Note that the .e-s# naming convention is one way to read them in.  Another is creating a .ex-timeseries file.

As Greg mentioned, it is more common for a single Exodus file to store the entire time series.  This is only possible in Exodus, however, if the toplogy does not change.  That is, you have the same number of cells and all the cells have the same neighbors.  The cells can, however, move around.  This is done by displacing the points of the mesh.

-Ken

On 11/16/10 5:32 PM, "Nico Schlömer" <nico.schloemer at gmail.com> wrote:

> states in them; as an example, the Sierra codes will output files with names
> similar to "box.e, box.e-s0002, ..., box.e-s0006" In paraview, I can open
> the file "box.e" and it automatically opens all files in the series and
> shows me the combined state times from each file.

Great! This does work with ParaView >= 3.8.0 and this exact file name format.
Thanks for the hint.

--Nico

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Gregory Sjaardema <gdsjaar at sandia.gov> wrote:
> On 11/16/10 12:46 PM, Nico Schlömer wrote:
>>>
>>> In exodus format, one generally writes all the steps (state1, state2,
>>> ...)
>>> in the same file.
>>
>> Right; I'll try that later. Moving mesh sequences might also be
>> represented in one file only I believe.
>>
>> It's still a bit confusing as to *what ParaView displays when there's
>> only one state per file.
>>
>> --Nico
>
> It is possible to have a sequence of exodus files that each have 1 or more
> states in them; as an example, the Sierra codes will output files with names
> similar to "box.e, box.e-s0002, ..., box.e-s0006" In paraview, I can open
> the file "box.e" and it automatically opens all files in the series and
> shows me the combined state times from each file.
>
> --Greg
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Weirs, V Gregory<vgweirs at sandia.gov>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> In exodus format, one generally writes all the steps (state1, state2,
>>> ...)
>>> in the same file. This relies on the mesh topology being the same for the
>>> entire set of steps.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> On 11/16/10 12:31 PM, "Nico Schlömer"<nico.schloemer at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've had a bunch of VTU files (say, state1.vtu, state2.vtu,
>>> state2.vtu,...) and using ParaView, it is very easy to display them in
>>> a movie style, being able to "play", "pause", click through the frames
>>> and so on.
>>> I then recently switched to the Exodus format, the information in the
>>> files remains exactly the same (say, state1.exo, state2.exo,
>>> state2.exo,...). When opening each file individually, one is presented
>>> with a slightly altered menu as opposed to VTU files (--makes
>>> sense--), but it does not seem to be possible to "play" the sequence
>>> of the files. ParaView would always iterate over "time" from 0 to 1 in
>>> in steps of 1/9, instead of iterating over the files.
>>>
>>> -- Is that something that cane be fixed, or am I ideally expected to
>>> present the data to ParaView in a different way?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nico