[Paraview] visualization of neural network activity

Benjamin Auffarth auffarth at csc.kth.se
Tue Nov 16 04:54:33 EST 2010

Hi all,
 my question is about suitability of ParaView for visualization of neural
network models. I saw the gallery, looked at the supported file formats,
available tools and filters, and looked over the user guide (1.7). My
impression is that ParaView is typically used for visualization of data that
is layed out in a grid, say 3D matrices, especially particles, however I
noticed there is the possibility to interactively create 3D objects and
output them to povray and I I saw that ITK R4 at one point had support for
neural network visualization (http://www.paraview
.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Discussion_Points#Neural_Networks).
 Our aim is to visualize a network model consisting of neurons and
connections between neurons and show time dynamics of evolving attractors,
etc. The visualization should basically colorcode neurons and synapses,
possibly in 3D and possibly raytraced. We run our simulations in parallel
and would like to use a binary format like hdf5 or netcdf to store data of
neural activations and connection strengths. These should then be used to
create a 3D representations (images and videos). I think Povray (+ pevious
binary2text conversion) could be simply setup to do network visualization
for our purpose. Can this visualization be done in ParaView? (If yes, how?)
thanks,
Benjamin.

----
Benjamin Auffarth
KTH, Computational Biology and Neurocomputing (CBN),
Albanova Universitetscentrum, Roslagstullsbacken 35,
S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
room 162:021B, tel. +46 8 790 8699