[Paraview] Confused by vtkWrapClientServer in my ParaView Reader Plugin

Peter Schmitt pschmittml at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:16:30 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am trying to implement a simple ParaView reader plugin: vtkLFMReader.  We
already have a proprietary I/O class that handles our data format:
 LFMReader.  I would like vtkLFMReader::RequestInformation and
vtkLFMReader::RequestData to call the appropriate LFMReader methods to
import my data to ParaView as a vtkStructuredGrid.  However,
vtkWrapClientServer complains "*** SYNTAX ERROR found in parsing the header
file" error while parsing "LFMReader.h".  I tried wrapping all of the
LFMReader.h with //BTX //ETX and I tried wrapping the code in
vtkLFMReader.cxx that includes this header:

//BTX
#include "LFMReader.h"
//ETX

However, I still get the "SYNTAX ERROR found in parsing the header file".
 Is it possible to have a ParaView Reader plugin instantiate a proprietary
class to do the actual I/O?  Are there examples of this in the ParaView
release (I couldn't find anything in VTK/IO/* or Examples/Plugins/* that
seemed applicable).

Here's my CMakeLists.txt:

INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})
ADD_PARAVIEW_PLUGIN(vtkLFMReader "1.0"
  SERVER_MANAGER_XML vtkLFMReader.xml
  SERVER_MANAGER_SOURCES vtkLFMReader.cxx LFMReader.cxx
  GUI_RESOURCE_FILES vtkLFMGUI.xml)

Thanks,
Pete