[Paraview] SC10 CoProcessing example

Chris Kees cekees at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:56:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've got a few questions about the python example, CoProcessingExample.py.
First, FYI, when downloaded to my mac the script contains indentation errors
so python can't parse it. Don't know what is going on (maybe our firewall is
trying to prevent us from using python by messing up the indentation!).
Second, my interepreter couldn't find the mpi module even though my
PYTHONPATH etc were set up as on the wiki. I use mpi4py to manipulate mpi
anyway, so I just modified the script to use it instead. Will that be OK in
general or do I need to track down the mpi module in order for the
coprocessing library to work correctly?

In terms of using the example, I constructed an image source in paraview and
colored it with the pointData, then saved the state script. I had to get
some of the name strings straightened out but the example appeared to run
and generated a sequence of png files. Does anybody have a simpler
state/coprocessing script for that example that I can use for learning
purposes?  The next thing to do is expose my solver's vtk data structures to
the co-processor and generate a coprocessing script for it. I'm afraid given
my weak understanding of what is going on, generating the state script from
one of my xdmf data sets and trying to get it to work inside the
coprocessing is going to be difficult (our i/o and existing vtk
visualization are completely independent). It might be easier if I new how
to wrote the state script by hand to execute something very simple. I've got
lots of vtk pipelines set up for the data under our current approach to
runtime vtk viz so I was hoping I could just paste in something similar into
the state script.

Thanks,
Chris