[Paraview] vtkSMExtractDocumentation linking error for ParaView 3.8.1

Christine Corbett Moran corbett at physik.uzh.ch
Mon Nov 1 08:47:49 EDT 2010

I'm setting up ParaView 3.8.1 (stable version from source linked on the
website) on our cluster and running into a linking error.

the error is
"[ 87%] Built target vtkPVServerManager
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/vtkSMExtractDocumentation
../../bin/libvtkPVServerCommon.so: undefined reference to `MD5'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"

and I have
 OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARIES
/usr/lib64/libssl.a:/usr/lib64/libcrypto.a
 OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR              /usr/include
 OPENSSL_LIBRARIES
/usr/lib64/libssl.a:/usr/lib64/libcrypto.a
 OPENSSL_SSL_LIBRARIES            /usr/lib64/libssl.a:/usr/lib64/libcrypto.a
set via ccmake.

I've tried both the static and the shared versions of the libraries on
the machine. I've tried using different versions of CMake (2.8.1 vs.
2.8.2). A simple program using MD5 compiles against these libraries no
problem gcc -o md5sum md5sum.c -lcrypto, I've done an ldd on this test
program md5sum binary to verify that it is indeed pointing to the same
libs that I've pointed to in the PV build. I've tried manually adding
the locations of the libraries to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I've also tried
putting INCLUDE(FindOpenSSL) in my CMakeLists.txt. Now I'm out of new
ideas.

Christine