[Paraview] Contours of streamlines crashing

David Borland borland at renci.org
Tue May 11 15:47:57 EDT 2010

I played around with this some more.  Looks like I *can* replicate it
with RectGrid2.vtk

I'm using the regular Stream Tracer with a Point Source (not the Custom
Source version with a Mask Points input), and changing the number of
points to 10.  Then applying a Contour filter on the Integration Time to
generate particles.

This works fine for the default settings of the Stream Tracer.  However,
  if I change the Maximum Error to 1e-10, it crashes (again, only when
attached to a Contour Filter).

This is beginning to make some sense to me (I think).  Because
Runge-Kutta 4-5 is an adaptive integrator, the step size is decreased to
  match the error.

Something similar must have been happening with my other data set, but
because the scale of the data was different, a different Maximum Error
was causing the crash.  I think the Contour Filter is having issues when
individual points on the streamlines are too close together.

I've attached a python trace that works.  However, changing the Maximum
Error to 1e-10 causes a crash.

Here is the location in the ContourFilter that is causing problems:

#12 0x00007fffe7b66f93 in vtkContourFilter::RequestData (this=0x23f58e0,
request=0x21ce010, inputVector=0x238cc90, outputVector=0x2387d60)
     at
/home/borland/dev/ParaView-3.8.0-RC2/VTK/Graphics/vtkContourFilter.cxx:549
549	    cellScalars->Delete();