[Paraview] GPU based volume rendering in ParaView

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Mar 1 12:56:50 EST 2010

Hey Aashish,

I've been having trouble with it, too, on my Mac (OS X 10.6.2, PV compiled serial x86_64 arch updated from CVS and rebuilt today, CMake 2.9.20100113). Are there any special hardware requirements, then? I can see the GPU Volume Mapper option, but when I switch over to that from the "Fixed point" mapper I get this error:

ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_cvs/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx, line 4110
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper (0x12082cc00): Rendering failed because the following OpenGL extensions are required but not supported:

(Just as this shows, the list of OpenGL extensions it says are required but not supported is empty...) My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group