[Paraview] Write and read a vtk file (in python)

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Jun 4 09:25:02 EDT 2010

> 1) reading :
> ------------
>
> from a vtkStructuredGrid object, I use a vtkStructuredGridWriter to create a
> vtk file, and I have the following problem :
> when I launch the script in Paraview, the format of floating points is not
> good (I obtain for example 33,1632 instead of 33.1632). So, the file created
> is not readable by Paraview. If I launch the script directly in a terminal,
> it works fine. Perhaps because the version of vtk module is not the same ?
> If I use the binary format I have not this problem.

This seems to be related to the way the LOCALE is set on your system. It is
probably set to French in one case and English in the other. Does anybody know
if we can force LOCALE to English in the ParaView application or the reader?

> 2) writing :
>
>  I would like to read my vtk files from the python shell, with
> OpenDataFile(), but It didn't succeed and I have the following message (with
> a file which can be read in paraview using menu open of course :-) :

Unless I am mistaken, you give the filename directly to OpenDataFile(),
without FileName=.

-berk