[Paraview] build problems on windows

Paul Edwards paul.m.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:43:36 EDT 2010

Hi

I actually switched to Visual Studio makefiles which removed the error about
not knowing how to make "D:\scratch\win32\paraview\bin\vtkWrapClientServer"
(and I did have other issues too...).  Now I am trying to go back to using
nmake and the problem is back.  I have tried building the example filter
that comes with ParaView in a separate location? I added the following to
the top of the CMakeLists.txt:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------
CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.6)
FIND_PACKAGE(ParaView REQUIRED)
INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})
------------------------------------------------------------------>8

Here is the output from trying to build:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------
D:\scratch\win32\tmp\Filter-build>cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" ..\Filter
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
-- Found Qt-Version 4.6.2 (using
D:/scratch/win32/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.2/bin/qmake.exe)
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: D:/scratch/win32/tmp/Filter-build

D:\scratch\ win32\tmp\Filter-build>nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01

NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
'D:\scratch\win32\paraview\bin\vtkWrapClientServer'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

D:\scratch\win32\tmp\Filter-build>

I can't work out what it could be as I built ParaView with nmake.  BTW I'm
using latest ParaView and cmake 2.8.2.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Paul