[Paraview] How to do volume rendering of image data?

Steve Huntley stephen at xhuntley.net
Tue Jul 20 01:53:10 EDT 2010

The alpha values are in the lookup table.  Each line in the lookup table
has four values: red, green, blue, opacity.  That's my understanding of
a properly formatted lookup table in a vtk file.  I used:
http://www.vtk.org/VTK/img/file-formats.pdf as a reference.

All opacity values are set to 1.0, except black which is set to 0.0.
But when the file is opened in ParaView and volume representation
chosen, it appears that not only the opacity values but the entire
lookup table is ignored.

Assuming homogeneous opacity is the furthest thing from what I want.  I
want to find a way to control opacity without destroying the colors in
my image data file via mapping to the default color scale.  Getting away
from homogeneous opacity is what I can't figure out how to do.  I want
to see through the black background pixels to see the full color pixels
of my 3D object.

--Steve H.