[Paraview] Visualizing data from the client computer

Ben Medina ben.medina at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 13:01:50 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I have a C++ based application, and I'm using ParaView to do
visualization. A key criterion for choosing ParaView was its ability
to load data that lives on a remote server. Now I have a different
visualization workflow that I need to support: the data all lives
locally in memory on the client. Since I'm already using ParaView for
other visualization purposes, I'd like to use it for this new workflow
as well.

So essentially, I have a vtkDataObject sitting in memory on the
client. Is there a way to push that data into ParaView? Or should I
just use VTK directly on the client?

One other question: is any of the new InfoVis stuff in VTK planned on
being exposed in ParaView? If not, how hard would it be for me to do
this myself?

Thanks,
Ben