[Paraview] How to do volume rendering of image data?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 15 14:31:11 EDT 2010

Steve,

Your approach is correct.  I don't know why you are seeing what you describe.  How are you coloring your data?

-Ken

On 7/15/10 4:37 AM, "Steve Huntley" <stephen at xhuntley.net> wrote:

According to the Paraview FAQ, Paraview supports volume rendering of
image data.  But despite searching the Web and buying the Paraview book,
I have not been able to find any detailed descriptions of this feature,
let alone directions for or examples of how to do it.

I have several image stacks in png format which represent slices of
3-dimensional objects.  I can convert an image stack into a vtk file and
open the file in Paraview, but after that I'm at a loss.  Is it possible
to do a volume rendering and end up with a photorealistic image of the
reconstructed 3D object?

After opening the vtk file created from the image stack and choosing
volume representation, all I see is a black block.  The black is
evidently the background image area surrounding my 3D object.  I would
like to make the black transparent and thus reveal the object, but it
seems to me that creating a custom color scale to control opacity would
result in color mapping and interpolation which would destroy much of
the original color in my image.  Is there a way to declare a single
color transparent without affecting the other colors in the image?  Is
this a valid way to pursue volume rendering of image data?

Up to now I have been using Osirix to reconstruct 3D objects from stacks
of slices and do photorealistic renderings of them.  But Osirix has not
been able to handle my larger image sets without crashing, and I would
also like to be able to script the process, as well as take advantage of
Paraview's parallel processing capabilities.

Is it possible to accomplish something like Osirix's 3D reconstructions
in Paraview?

Thanks,
Steve Huntley