[Paraview] hiding intermediate filters created from python

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Jul 9 14:48:21 EDT 2010

Hey Stephane,

It comes close to working for me if I do the Custom Filter thing, but not quite -- what problems are you seeing if you try to do this?

When I'm trying to create a Custom Filter out of the sources & filters you specified (no inputs, append filter output and exposing the text entry line edits in the panel) I get an error when I hit Finish:

Warning: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMProxy.cxx, line 1451
vtkSMCompoundSourceProxy (0x120fe05f0): Proxy AppendDatasets1 already exists. Replacing

And then when I try to load this custom filter (really a source) from an exported .cpd file in Python and use it, the 0 and 1 actually show up in the 3D view, but nothing shows up in the Pipeline Browser and I get this error:

Representation could not locate the pqPipelineSource object  for the input proxy.

If I try to use this custom source from the Sources menu, I get these errors:

ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Filtering/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 727
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x11c4b2270): Input port 0 of algorithm vtkAppendFilter(0x11c4b0fe0) has 0 connections but is not optional.

ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 756
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x11c4b4780): Algorithm vtkTransformFilter(0x11c4b2380) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x11c61d360)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 74590
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 756
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x11c4b5cf0): Algorithm vtkTransformFilter(0x11c4b3e10) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x11c61e6d0)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 74601
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

but the digits show up in the 3D view and after that I can change the text, etc.

I get similar behavior if I try to make a Custom Source out of a Cone plus a Sphere and an Append Datasets filter, but no Transform filters (same "Proxy AppendDatasets1 already exists" and "vtkAppendFilter has 0 connections but is not optional" errors as above), so there may just be some sort of bug with trying to use an Append filter in a Custom Source...?

I also get the same behavior and same "Representation could not locate the..." error even when trying to display a very simple (a customized cone) custom source from Python (even though this one works fine from the Sources menu). Maybe problems with Custom Sources from Python, too...?

Talk to you later,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group