[Paraview] Question about showing a few nodes/points using vtk xml

L.M. de Vries ManuelDeVries at GMail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:07:23 EDT 2010

  Hi,

I am trying to show a few points (not a mesh) with their values in
Paraview using an XML VTK input-file
Here are the contents of my .vpt file:

<VTKFile version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian" type="PolyData">
<PolyData>
<Piece NumberOfPoints="6">
<Points>
<DataArray NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii" type="Float32">
0 0 0.0
0 0.5 0.0
5 9.5 0.0
5 10 0.0
14 9.5 0.0
14 10 0.0
</DataArray>
</Points>
<PointData>
<DataArray format="ascii" type="Float32" Name="myValue">
1.0
4.0
9.0
15.0
80.4
100.3
</DataArray>
</PointData>
</Piece>
</PolyData>
</VTKFile>

After opening this file in Paraview, it show the points (when I use
"select points through").
If I show the legend, the max and min values are correct.
If I show the values as labels, they are correct.
What I would like to know is how I can get the points to show the right
color.

BTW, Paraview crashes if I change the file to only use 2 components.....

Thanks in advance for your help,

Luis Manuel