[Paraview] Open a bit image with Paraview

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Jul 2 09:33:15 EDT 2010

Hey Samer,

Part of my point was that I had trouble loading data into ParaView, so I was creating it within PV to see how it handled bit data.

It looks like you are right that the legacy VTK format supports bit attributes, so that may be your best bet for trying to get your data into PV. There are various warnings around, though, that you _must_ write your binary data in *BigEndian* format. I was able to create a data set in PV and then save it in legacy VTK and load it back in okay. I'll attach both binary and ascii version of this so you can compare the two to see how the binary is constructed. It looks like you just need a newline after the header part, and then your binary data written out as 8 bit characters, and then a newline at the end.

I don't think that the VTK file formats can refer to data in another file, so if I understand you correctly it won't work as a markup language like .xmf files with HDF5. So, if you really need to stick with bit images you'll probably have to write the legacy VTK as a separate, single file.

Good luck,
-Eric