[Paraview] how to show the co-ordinates of the a point in paraview

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jan 28 09:10:22 EST 2010

Hey Kalpana,

You can get ParaView to display scalar or vector quantities associated with points while they are selected. If you select some points, then under the View menu open the Selection Inspector, at the bottom of this panel there is a section called Display Style. Click on the Point Label tab and check Visible. You will see a combo-box called Label Mode, and in this list are all of the scalars and vectors associated with your point data.

The point coordinates are not listed, but you can can create a new vector that contains a copy of the coordinates with the Calculator filter. In the Calculator Properties panel there is a combo box/button labeled Vectors, and one of the entries should be "coords" (or you can just type coords in the equation line edit. You can rename the result to something more meaningful like Coordinates. Now when you select points from this new data, the new Coordinates vector should show up under the Label Mode of the Point Label section of the Selection Inspector.

Let us know if you have any problems,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group