[Paraview] cone vs. cylinder glyph orientation

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 25 15:32:08 EST 2010

This has come up before.  I don't know if anyone has resolved to take actions to fix the problem, but this email thread has a workaround.

http://markmail.org/search/list:paraview?q=cylinder+glyph#query:list%3Aparaview%20cylinder%20glyph+page:1+mid:snie5z5ufqnmx27c+state:results

-Ken

On 1/25/10 1:12 PM, "Randy Heiland" <heiland at indiana.edu> wrote:

I'm confused as to why a cone glyph gets oriented according to a vector field but a cylinder glyph doesn't - or so it seems.

This trivial onept.vtk:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 1 float
0 0 0
POINT_DATA 1
SCALARS scalars float
LOOKUP_TABLE default
0

will orient a cone glyph pointing along the x-axis and a cylinder glyph along the y-axis.  Appending a (0,0,1) vector to this datafile:
VECTORS vectors float
0 0 1

will now orient the cone pointing outward along the z-axis, but the cylinder glyph still is oriented along the x-axis.  What am I missing? (Fwiw, I can't seem to figure it out in a VTK script either, using glyph.SetVectorModeToUseVector() )

thanks, Randy