[Paraview] VTK: Re(z), Im(z) plotted as |z|^2, arg(z) ?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 19 11:56:16 EST 2010

Can you use the array calculator filter to compute the derived values?

-Ken

On 1/19/10 9:39 AM, "Nico Schlömer" <nico.schloemer at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm having that very simple legacy VTK file (STRUCTURED_GRID) with one
big block of SCALARS with two components, representing the real part
and the imaginary part of complex values z.

The values that are interesting for plotting are |z|^2 and arg(z),
which of course can be entirely expressed in terms of Re(z), Im(z). Is
there any way to tell ParaView to do the conversion?

What I do right now is returning not Re(z), Im(z) in the VTK
components, but |z|^2 and arg(z), for which apparently a conversion in
the code's write and read routines is necessary (potentially leading
to round-off errors, and being inherently *ugly*).

Cheers,
Nico