[Paraview] Exporting ICEM CFD Mesh to ParaView

Rafael Castaneda ramacaneto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 08:53:22 EST 2010

Hi,

thanks for answering. I've programmed a plugin for CFD preprocessing
purposes (I mean, setting boundary and initial conditions, solver parameters
and so on) and I would like that a user could make a model+mesh in ICEM CFD
and export it to ParaView. When using ICEM CFD, one usually creates parts,
which are grouping of 2D geometric entities, so that one can distinguish
between different regions to attribute different BC's or IC's. The user also
must create a domain, which is actually the 3D physical domain in which
there is a flow.

When I export to exodus II format, just the 3D Physical Domain is created as
a block in the Multiblock Dataset, the 2D geometric entities, the parts, are
not created. But I really need this information, so that I can distinguish
the parts of the Model in my plugin and allow the user to select them to
associate conditions. I tried exporting to fluent format in ICEM CFD, then
opening with Fluent, saving as .cas file (which ParaView can read), but
also: no information about the parts.

The question is: is there any format or reader, available in VTK or ParaView
that is known to read ICEM CFD Meshes with ALL the information ? I'm pretty
sure someone somewhere already needed this !

Thanks a lot for your help,
Rafael Castaneda.