[Paraview] Octree Mesh

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Jan 14 07:42:09 EST 2010

Hi M,

> I am rather new to paraview and I work in the area of CSE. The typical
> meshes that I use to discretize my PDEs over is the 3D Octree data
> structure. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of a dedicated dataset in
> paraview to handle such meshes? I can go ahead and export my data in a way
> that can be loaded as an unstructured dataset, but I'd prefer to use a
> specific dataset for Octrees.

We actually have native support for octree datasets - try Sources ->
Octree Fractal.
There has been very little use of this dataset and I found that the
reader/writer for
it are not enabled. If you are willing to compile ParaView from
source, I can make
the necessary changes to our development version. Let me know.

> One more question. When I use, say, a simple structured 3D mesh and use the
> slice filter to generate the corresponding mesh on a surface(through
> wireframe) it just shows me some extra diagonal lines on each square cell,
> which it should not.

This is the way the slice filter works - it creates triangles rather
than quads. I believe
that there is a filter, somewhere, that generates quads for the case
of (structured
data, planar slice). I'll ask the author of that filter its status.

-berk