[Paraview] Clip filter bogs down after repeated Clip Type changes

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jan 13 16:54:54 EST 2010

Hello,

I noticed something strange when debugging a variation on the clip filter as a plugin, but found that it happens with the standard Clip filter, too. If you switch repeatedly back and forth between Clip Types (Applying in between), the filter starts getting slower and slower and eventually bogs downs completely. To demonstrate:

Create a default Wavelet Source
Clip Filter -> Apply
Switch from Plane to Box Clip Type -> Apply
Switch back to Plane Clip Type -> Apply
Repeat last two...

After switching clip types about a dozen times I can see a few second delay before the new clipped data shows up in the render view, and by 13 it takes many seconds to show up. Memory use seems to increase on each iteration, but from about 85 to 110 Mb over those steps, so it's not enormous by the end... If you delete the Clip filter and create a new one, it starts over fresh (w/o memory usage drop) and you can repeat the same eventual slowdown.

(I can get this to happen both on Mac OS X 10.6.2 x86_64 Cocoa CVS Paraview built with CVS CMake, as well as on today's Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit PV 3.6.2 binary download -- haven't tried any others yet.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Eric