[Paraview] netCDF reader

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Jan 13 10:58:59 EST 2010

The netCDF reader in ParaView implements the COARDS convention, which is a subset of the CF convention.  To the best of my knowledge, both conventions define the spherical coordinates in the same way.  So if you have a netCDF file containing the CF convention for latitude and longitude, then the ParaView netCDF reader should understand that.

That said, I see that the netCDF reader will only actually create spherical coordinates for 3D grids.  I am not sure I remember the logic behind that, but I think it was that in general it is usually better to visualize a map surface as a 2D projection to prevent occlusion and that it is ambiguous what the height of the surface should be.  That said, it is easy to implement spherical coordinates to 2D grids.  I just checked in a change that creates a sphere at radius 1.

The idea of the netCDF reader outputting a vtkPolyData is unworkable.  Many netCDF files contain 3D grids, and vtkPolyData is incapable of representing those.  It could always output a vtkUnstructuredGrid, but this is a highly inefficient format for storing the structured arrays stored in netCDF COARDS files.  It is conceivable that the netCDF reader could always output a vtkStructuredGrid.  But that means that non-COARDS files are forced to also output vtkStructuredGrid and they loose the features for using vtkImageData.  I know there are issues with the VTK/ParaView pipeline when you change the output of the reader when you change the dimensions.  But there are also similar problems when you change the extent and dimensionality anyway, so I don't know how much help such a change would make.

-Ken