[Paraview] Octree Mesh

Ivo Roghair ivoroghair at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 03:50:17 EST 2010

Hi,

With respect to the slicing; you could try to use the Extract Cells By
Region filter, instead of the slice filter; my structured grid --
consisting of cubic cells -- is then sliced in the expected way keeping
the cell structure as it was, whereas the slice tool seems to create an
unstructured mesh first hereby generating additional edges, resulting in
the triangular mesh that you see.

I'm also looking for a robust way to write out my OctTree meshes. Here's
how I do it now, assuming cubic cells;

Create a point dataset (.vtp, .csv, .vtk) with a variable called 'size',
the point coordinates at the cell centers. Then generate a glyph on this
dataset, set it to cubes with size of course the variable that you have
in the file. You can of course color the glyphs with any other variable
in your dataset.

This saves you the trouble of generating 8 points per cubic cell and
conncting them properly in your output files as you would in an
unstructured mesh datafile. But still I'm convinced that there is
(should be) an easier way of doing this.

Best,
Ivo