[Paraview] Help the newbie

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jan 5 15:15:04 EST 2010

It is not easy to make ParaView update automatically when the data
changes because of VTK's demand driven nature, VTK's lack of thread
safety, and due to ParaView's client server architecture. Doing it
well is an active research topic.

Search the mailing list (ex
http://paraview.markmail.org/search/?q=in-situ#query:in-situ+page:1+mid:is7zpzmo75lmnihj+state:results)
about live data, real time visualization, or in-situ visualization for
guidelines about how to go about doing it yourself.

See also:

* Sandia's in-situ visualization work
(http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/IEEE_Vis09_ParaView_Tutorial)
* The SCI Institute's multithreaded push pipeline
  http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkThreadedStreamingPipeline.html

  H.T. Vo, D.K. Osmari, B. Summa, J.L.D. Comba, V. Pascucci, C.T.
Silva. “Parallel Dataflow Scheme for Streaming (Un)Structured Data,”
SCI Technical Report, No. UUSCI-2009-004, SCI Institute, University of
Utah, 2009.

  Huy T. Vo, Clàudio T. Silva. “Multi-Threaded Streaming Pipeline For
VTK,” SCI Technical Report, No. UUSCI-2009-005, SCI Institute,
University of Utah, 2009.

good luck!

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.