[Paraview] Best way to represent a network of contacts

William Oquendo woquendo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:50:18 EST 2010

Dear all,
I am performing Discrete Element Simulations of granular materials. I have
successfully employed Paraview to visualize the grains and to filter by its
scalar and vectorial data, printing to vtk xml vtp files. Now, I would like
to use Paraview to explore the connectivity structure of the contacts, and,
for instance, to be able to scale/color/etc by normal force magnitude and so
on. I would like to know what is the best way to represent the contacts
among particles. In principle, they are "lines" that goes from  the center
of one particle to the other. Its "width" could be proportional to some
scalar value, like the normal force** magnitude.

I tried to use lines, and in order to scale to use a glyph. Unfortunately,
the glyphs are applied to the points of the line. Should I use just points
and apply a cylinder glyph on them? how can I "orient" the glyph to point
from center to center? the normal vectors attribute is useful for that?

Thanks for your kind attention, time, and help.

Best regards / Cordialmente,

--
William Oquendo
Phd Candidate