[Paraview] VTK File Format Question

Jeff Johnson jj56 at indiana.edu
Sun Dec 12 10:15:41 EST 2010

Thanks, but I'm totally new to the VTK file format and ParaView, and the documentation is not clear. It seems like the STRUCTURED_GRID geometry is the proper one for what I need, but I can find virtually no examples of it's use. For instance, if I want to specify a set of unit cubes from a set of points, do I do that in POINT_DATA or CELL_DATA? If I want to color them and set an opacity, where does that information go? The documentation says that a lookup table is a set of RGBA values that is associated with scalar data, but what does the scalar data represent, and how do I associated it with the cubes?

-Jeff