[Paraview] Inconsistent client view in tiled-display mode

Stephane PLOIX stephane.ploix at edf.fr
Thu Aug 26 07:50:53 EDT 2010

Hi,

Since this thread is started, I would like to point out that saying that
display walls are only used if the data size is large is not true for
everybody.

We have several use cases where having a correct rendering on the client
would be helpfull :
* display walls can be used for team meetings : the space is then used to
have several people view the same thing, not always very big in terms of
number of cells. In this case, it is very usefull to have the possibility
to pick/select some part of an object, and it is very diffcult to do so
with a decimated view.
* we also use some tools like virtualGL that enable image-based
collaboration by streaming the image of the client to a remote viewer :
for instance if someone was not able to join the meeting and still want to
participate and share the same view on his desktop. Sending a view of a
decimated object is not very helpfull...

I would vote for having the possibility to have a full-resolution view on
the client, comments?

Best,
Stephane

Stephane PLOIX
Pilote Opérationnel - Visualisation scientifique
EDF - R&D
SINETICS
1, Av du Général de Gaulle
92140 Clamart

stephane.ploix at edf.fr
Tél. : +33 (0) 1 47 65 51 10

Un geste simple pour l'environnement, n'imprimez ce message que si vous en
avez l'utilité.

dave.demarle at kitware.com
Envoyé par : paraview-bounces at paraview.org
26/08/2010 13:14

c.willing at uq.edu.au
cc
paraview at paraview.org
Objet
Re: [Paraview] Inconsistent client view in tiled-display mode

This is probably intended behavior. What is the setting of the "Client
Collect" slider on the "Options"||"Preferences"->"Render
View"->"Server"->"Tile Display Parameters" tab of the Options panel?
Unless its checkbox is unchecked, ParaView either decimates the
geometry before sending it to the client or if larger than the
threshold, sends only bounding boxes. The reasoning being that if the
rendered geometry is big enough to require a tiled display to show, a
single GPU on the client is unlikely to be able to handle it a full
resolution.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-371-3971 x109

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>
wrote:
> When running in tiled display mode, the view at the client is sometimes
> missing part of the geometry.
>
> The effect appears to differ according to the number of tiles in play.
As an