[Paraview] Combining data into one input file

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Aug 13 09:14:24 EDT 2010

Hey again,

If you really want them together, one possibility would be to make them into an unstructured grid, which "consists of arbitrary combinations of any possible cell type". The problem is that all of the points or cells would have to have the same attributes defined, and you only have the height attribute defined for one of your two data sets.

You can also do a "multi-block" dataset. To see how this would work, load both into ParaView, then apply the Group Datasets filter. Then, you can Save Data as a .vtm (multi-block XML format file), and choose ascii. The two data files will still be separate in another folder, but you load this single .vtm file into ParaView and can extract the blocks separately if you need. There's still the problem of only one set containing the height attribute, but it's at least another option for you.

Talk to you later,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group