[Paraview] Gathering information about python wrappers

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Aug 5 09:57:48 EDT 2010

Hi Erik,

The proxy classes override getattr and in some instances, they do
extra work when an attribute is requested. For example, any attribute
related to data causes the underlying filter to execute RequestInformation,
which causes it to execute RequestDataObject. Some filters require
that the input is connected before RequestDataObject because their
output data type depends on the input data type. This will change in
the future but currently there is no easy way to get around it.

Instead of parsing all of the attributes of the proxies, you can simply
access the properties. I believe I sent information about how to do
that in a previous e-mail.

Alternatively, you can identify the attributes that give you the errors
and filter them out. However, I am not crazy about the idea of exposing
all of attributes of the proxy classes to VisTrails because some of
them may cause similar issues in the future if they are accessed
before the pipeline is connected.

-berk