[Paraview] Plotting sphere data

Lester Anderson lester_anderson1963 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 04:28:12 EDT 2010

Hello

I have a global seismic tomography dataset which has the column format:

Longitude (degrees), Latitude (degrees). depth (km), velocity anomaly (delta_v)

Because the data map out the structure of the Earth's mantle it is a simple process to convert the depths to Earth radius distances, thus giving the position of the data point on and within the sphere.

What I need to know is whether there is an easy way of getting the data into Paraview and mapped as a 3D sphere particularly for doing whole Earth views? My aim is to get the data into Paraview so that it can be easily sliced.

Thanks for any guidance and help

Lester