[Paraview] git master and latest ffmpeg

Sven Buijssen sven.buijssen at tu-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 29 11:38:42 EDT 2010

Michael,

> The problem with ffmpeg IMHO is that it is a moving target (as is also declared on their website). It is almost impossible for ParaView to keep up and just arbitrarily picking any revision is no solution either, because that will cause a lot of trouble for packagers.

It's just that PV and VTK for a month or three now supported both the old
outdated ffmpeg version from February 2007 or so (downloadable as a tarball from
the addons section of the VTK software download website) AND the latest ffmpeg.
Up to last Monday. Given the effort spent to re-add support for newer ffmpeg
versions and considering that the change in ffmpeg that breaks it this time in
PV is less complex to work around than last time (headers completely reworked),
I think we shouldn't let go that easily.

> <shameless_plug>I suggest you give the included Ogg/Theora writer a try.</shameless_plug>.

I'm well aware of your contribution and compile ParaView with
  -DVTK_USE_OGGTHEORA_ENCODER:BOOL=ON -DVTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER:BOOL=ON
ever since you announced your git fork of PV on this mailing list, so even
before ogv support has been added to the official source tree. :-)  It's just
that some of my users prefer avi over ogv.

Sven