[Paraview] Polyline visualization in ParaView

Cristiano Malossi cristiano.malossi at epfl.ch
Sat Apr 24 07:11:40 EDT 2010

Berk Geveci wrote:
>> I would like export in an xdmf format the results of a 1D numerical
>> simulation. Using "polyline" I have created a test file and I am able to
>> visualize the line in paraview. However I have some issues:
>>
>> 1) I would like to visualize a 3D cylinder instead of the line. However,
>> tube filter is always gray and I cannot use it;
>>

> You data is an unstructured grid (even though it is just polylines)
> and the tube filter expects a polydata. Try "Extract Surface" to
> convert to polydata. I made a note that filters like this should work
> with unstructured grids. I will file a feature request.

Dear Berk,

thank you for the help. With the "extract surface filter" it works fine.
I agree that would be nice to use directly the tube filter also with the
Polyline objects.
Unfortunately I get confused from this page:

http://cs.unc.edu/~taylorr/Comp715/ParaView3_2_Tutorial.html

where it is stated: "For example, if the current object is of type
structured grid, the tube filter will not be active in the 'Filters'
menu since it can be only applied to polylines."

>> 2) If I try to use the plot over line filter I get a segmentation fault;
>> 3) If I try to see the grid connectivity with the related filter, I get a
>> message error.
>>
>> Probably there is something wrong in my data file, however I cannot find it.
>> Could you help me, please?
>>

> There is indeed something wrong. I suspect that the polyline is
> pointing to a point id that does not exist. Keep in mind that ids
> start at 0 not 1. Maybe that's the problem?

Yes you are right. I tried a lot of options to make it working, and
before sending the email I forgot to remove the BaseOffset. That is my
fault. Sorry!

   Cristiano