[Paraview] newbie: ascii to vector to gen. glyphs

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 26 14:08:29 EDT 2009

The best representation for your data is a poly data set with vertex cells, which can be a single point.  An unstructured grid, which also supports vertex cells, is fine, too.

The native VTK file formats provide reasonable ASCII representations of this data.  You can download documentation from the Wiki: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Image:VTK-File-Formats.pdf

If you already have your data in a text file with the data for each point on a line, you can use the csv reader to read this information as a table (you can change the comma delimiter to something else).  You can then use the table to points filter to convert this to geometric data.

-Ken