[Paraview] Problems with Paraview 3.6.1 on cluster (client - server mode)

myaccountmail9 myaccountmail9 myaccountmail9 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 03:56:46 EDT 2009

Hi,
we have a Linux (Debian) cluster without gpu and we have a big problem using
Paraview 3.6.1in client - server mode.
The server has been compiled with OSMesa library and following the
instructions reported here (in particular the section "OSMesa support"):

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server

If we try to connect the client started with the command:

paraview

and the server, started with the command:

pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

we must disable the checkbox "Remote rendering threshold" (but this causes
bad performances) in the client settings (Edit -> Settings -> Render view ->
Server), othervise Paraview crashes after loading a big input or performing
some operation such us changing "outline" to "wireframe"...

The error always is (similar to):

ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx, line 67
vtkServerConnection (0x3182220): Server Connection Closed!

Executing with: 0
*** Process received signal ***
Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
Signal code:  (128)
Failing at address: (nil)
[ 0] /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x7f4fc6536a80]
[ 1] /usr/lib/libGL.so.1(glBlendFuncSeparateEXT+0x16) [0x7f4fc7bc12e6]
*** End of error message ***
Segmentation fault

This error also occurs if we start client and server logging directly
(without any ssh connection) on the master node; on master node X is running
and we can execute the test:

mpirun -np 4 /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears

So, it doen't seem a problem regarding X connection and permission...

Moreover, executing the test:

/ParaView/ParaView-bin$ ctest -I ,,10

we obtain some segmentation fault, but the log file can't give any useful
information.

111/475 Testing TestGradientBackground        ***Exception: SegFault
121/475 Testing TestOSConeCxx                 ***Exception: SegFault
131/475 Testing TestTranslucentLUTDepthPeeling***Exception: SegFault
141/475 Testing BoxWidget                     ***Exception: SegFault
151/475 Testing TestParallelopipedWidget      ***Exception: SegFault

..

On our local machine with gpu 100% test passed, and we haven't any problem
to connect client and server on that machine.

MPI version is: mpirun (Open MPI) 1.2.7rc2
OSMesa version is: 7.0.3-7

We searched on google, on Paraview wiki... without any succes: can you help
us please?

If you need more information let us now

Thank you very much

Luis