[Paraview] 3D vector & contour plots from a set of scattered point

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Nov 30 16:36:49 EST 2009

Hey Nima,

I don't know if this will be a useable solution for you, but based on
your notes I tried generating a point cloud (centered on the origin,
100 points with radius 10) in ParaView, then using the calculator
filter I generated a scalar value on each node which is the magnitude
of the x, y, z coordinate vector: mag(coords). Instead of trying to
sample the data points onto a regular grid, I used the Delaunay3D
filter (with default parameters) to generate tetrahedra, which can be
used for volume visualization, contouring, etc. Here is a screen shot
of the point cloud colored by that vector magnitude (blue-white-red
colormap), and six contours which have been clipped to show the insides.

Again, not sure if this is the type of solution you were looking for,
but it interpolates the vector magnitude values and allows you to
generate contours.

Talk to you later,
-Eric

Eric E Monson