[Paraview] How PV detects valid file formats?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 9 08:53:53 EST 2009

The choice works like this:

ParaView has an internal list for the initial file extension to reader mapping.
The default list is in
Qt/Components/Resources/XML/ParaViewReaders.xml. When you load a
reader type plugin that list is extended by any new extensions from
the reader's xml.
When there is more than one reader that recognizes the same file
extension, the reader that comes last in the list is used, or more
specifically tried, first.
I say tried because readers _can_ have a CanReadFile method, in which
the reader snoops the file to determine if it really can read it. If
that call returns false, the next reader gets a chance and so on.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive