[Paraview] Post processing vts data in paraview with python

Mark Fleharty mark.fleharty at gmail.com
Wed May 20 17:10:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:44 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Mark Fleharty <mark.fleharty at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to using Python with Paraview.  I've been generating data in
>> the vts file format, and I would like to do some post processing on it
>> inside Paraview.
>>
>> I'm trying to read data from a structured grid and just get the
>> various values for different X, Y, and Z positions.
>>
>> I have a simple script that looks like:
>>
>> from paraview.servermanager import *
>> Connect()
>>
>> reader = sources.XMLStructuredGridReader(FileName="fields.vts")
>> extract=filters.ExtractGrid(Input=reader)
>>
>> So far this seems to work, I've been trying to figure out what methods
>> exist withing ExtractGrid and XMLStructuredGridReader that I can use
>> to find out what values I have at certain positions.
>>
>> Does anyone have a script that already does something similar?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> In the python shell you can run dir(filters.ExtractGrid) and
> dir(sources.XMLStructuredGridReader) to see which methods are supported in
> python.

Thanks David.  I've done dir and help on sources, filters, and many of
the member functions/variables.

I did find that sources.XMLStructuredGridReader has a
GetDataInformation() member, and inside of that a DataInformation
variable that has a number of members that indicate that it has loaded
my data, but I'm still unable to find any member functions that can
retrieve the values of my data at particular grid points.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

--