[Paraview] Ensight Particle data visualization

Sandeep Rana rana41671 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 03:31:09 EDT 2009

Dear Dr. Liu,

I tried to install development version paraview3.5.0, but it also gave me
the same error message:

ERROR: In /home/srana2/opt/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 3977
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0x1c35400): Read failed

Could you please throw some more light on how to visualize particle data.
What my understanding says is, glyph adds sphere at every node point and
scales them with the data in particle file for example diameter of particles
in *.DP file when we select the scale mode as scalar. Though I am not sure
how particle coordinate file comes in to the picture.
I don't have more than 5000 particles in my simulation but information tab
shows as ~169750 number of points. Also the development version doesn't
shows the option to color the particles with particle data.
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Sandeep

P.S : Attached is the new particle image file  for reference

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Zhanping Liu <zhanping.liu at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sandeep:
>
>    Would you please try your EnSight Gold data files using the latest
version of ParaView? If the problem still exists, I will be glad to fix it.
I mean there has been much difference between ParaView3.4 (that you are
using) and the latest version regarding EnSight Gold files.

>    Thanks.
>
>    -Zhanping
>
> --
> Zhanping Liu, PhD
> Kitware, Inc.
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-371-3971 x 138
> http://www.zhanpingliu.org
>

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Sandeep Rana <rana41671 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to visualize particle data files, written in Ensight Gold
format. I checked the case file with ens_checker82 and it seems okay to me.

>> FORMAT
>> type: ensight gold
>> GEOMETRY
>> model: 1 DF.000000.ens.coor
>> measured: 2 lsp2.******.ens.coor
>> VARIABLE
>> vector per node: 1 U ./DF.******.ens.U
>> vector per measured node: 2 UP ./lsp2.******.ens.UP
>> scalar per measured node: 2 TP ./lsp2.******.ens.TP
>> scalar per measured node: 2 MP ./lsp2.******.ens.MP
>> TIME
>> time set: 1
>> number of steps: 2
>> filename start number: 1
>> filename increment: 1
>> time values:
>> 1.00E-002
>> 2.00E-002
>> time set: 2
>> number of steps: 2
>> filename start number: 1
>> filename increment: 1
>> time values:
>> 1.00E-002
>> 2.00E-002
>>
>> While trying to read it in Paraview3.4, I am getting following error
messages:

>> ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightReader.cxx, line 1950
>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Block already has a vtkDataSet
assigned to it.

>> ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 3957
>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed
>>

>> ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 3957
>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed
>>

>> ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 3957
>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed
>>
>> I am able to visualize particles by using Glyph filter as mentioned in
the earlier posts but the particle size doesn't look physical to me. I
should have all my particles with dia 6e-5m but Paraview displays them with
different sizes. In the Scalars section I have selected MP, and Vector as U.
I changed the default radius of 0.5 to 0.05 and Scale mode is set to vector.
Also, the number of points in information section is way too more than what
I have in my files. I would really appreciate any help in understanding
Paraview particle visualization.

http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView