[Paraview] setting graphical window size

John bitumen.surfer at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:52:08 EDT 2009

Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:

> What are describing is not a bug at all.
Ok, I accept that - it was simply the appearance that the axes
indicators only altered in size with vertical scaling (but not with the
horizontal scaling) that I thought might be a bug. Hadn't actually
noticed this though until I created the examples - was not the central
tenet of the issue I was raising

> And even if you set the GUI size explicitly before saving the image
> you will indeed get exactly the same effect. Here's the reason: all 3D
> actors in the scene as positioned using 3D world coordinates, however
> all 2D entities such as scalar bar, orientation axes etc. are position
> using display coordinates. So whenever you change the aspect ratio as
> dramatically as you are,
They are only that dramatic because I was creating a deliberate
exaggerated example
> you can expect considerable placement changes with legends and such.
> For fun, setup the paraview gui and then resize the paraview windows
> to mimic the aspect ratios you are using and you shall see that the
> GUI behaves no differently.
This is the issue exactly "then resize the paraview windows to mimic the
aspect ratios you are using" - How do I do that for a specified
resolution ?
I think we have come back full circle to the issue I was raising. And
that is how do I set the GUI/View/Image window to a specified resolution
? At the moment the only way I can see is run a script, after altering
the size of the window with the mouse, to see what the current size is
and then repeating the process until the desired resolution is obtained
- a little bit iterative and clumsy.

Clearly from your description a scene is composed of different forms of
actors (2D & 3D) and that these behave differently when scaled in the
"save screenshot" command. Therefore in order to achieve repeatability I
need to be able to set my View/scene/image window to my desired size
each time I load paraview so that I am seeing a true representation of
what I am creating and thus avoiding any scaling at the "save
screenshot" stage.

Ideally I'd like the ability to specify the scene/image window size
directly or failing that to see its size in real time as I drag the
borders with the mouse to my desired size.

Thanks

John