[Paraview] VTK-Python script or Paraview server manager script?

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Mon May 11 19:28:18 EDT 2009

Hello,

Being a bit of a VTK/Paraview newbie, I'm having a little difficulty
selecting the right tool for the job. I've got a number of polygonal
primitives; lines, spheres, cylinders etc, in a 3d application and I
would like to export and view these objects in Paraview. Because the 3d
app is scriptable, I can write a plugin to export the primitives as VTK
geometry data, but I shrink at the thought of handling low level
operations that would be required. Therefore I'm considering another
option namely: to have the 3d app write a VTK-Python or
Paraview-Servermanager script based on the primitives in the scene. The
problem now, is which scripting technique is better for the task,
bearing in mind that what I would like to do is to view the primitives
in Paraview.

Initially, I started out writing a Paraview-Servermanager script, but I
later realized that a VTK-Python script might do the job as well, _if_
VTK-Python scripts can export programmatically created scene data.

Please advise.

Thanks.

- Olumide