[Paraview] Generating a distribution of ParaView with Plugin

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 20 10:26:32 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to do mostly the same thing as Rafael (eventually build
and deploy my own build of ParaView onto our university cluster), and
having a similar problem.

I tried to build a 32bit binary of unmodified ParaView 3.4.0 (as a
first trial to build my own modified ParaView) using Windows XP SP3
pro, VS2008SP1 pro edition, Qt 4.3.5 opensource edition, CMake 2.6.3
and NSIS installer 2.44. The compilation and running INSTALL and
PACKAGE targets both went fine, but when I try to run the binaries on
another machine I always get an error, regardless of the packaging
targets (INSTALL or PACKAGE):

(the original message is in Japanese, but should translate as follows)
"The Side-by-Side configuration information contains errors. This
application has failed to start because the application configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

What I noticed is that the package created by running the INSTALL
target contains msvc[mpr]90.dll and Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest while
running the PACKAGE target does not, but the resulting errors are the
same. Also, I read around
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Packaging_With_CPack
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374224(VS.85).aspx
and their relevant pages without significant success so far.

The question is, what are the missing steps to create a win32 package
of unmodified ParaView 3.4 that works out of the box using VS2008,
like the one distributed from the ParaView site?

Thanks,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN