[Paraview] Trying to plot signals to paraview

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 4 12:50:17 EST 2009

George,

If you don't want to save the full image data, then either poly data or unstructured data is the way to go.  (Poly data will probably be a bit more efficient in ParaView, but either will work).

If you are looking for a format to store the data in, you might consider the VTK legacy data format.  This format is documented in the VTK User's manual and here: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Image:VTK-File-Formats.pdf

As far as the topology is concerned, you have a couple of options.  One is just to define a bunch of "vertices" (0D cells).  These will just appear as points on the screen.  The advantage is that they are easy to specify: You just need coordinates and the data at that coordinate.  The disadvantage is that they are just drawn as a series of points.  You run the risk of holes appearing between the cells once the resolution of the data drops below the pixel level.  (That might not be a concern for you.)  The other option is to draw quadrilaterals either centered on each point or connecting 4 points.  The quads will make sure that the space is filled but require you to specify more connectivity information.  In either case, a Delaunay triangulation seems unnecessarily complicated.

-Ken