[Paraview] particle motion animation - can someone help?

Pei-Ying Hsieh phsieh2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 10:22:28 EST 2009

Dear Paraview user group:

I would like to plot/animate the motion of particles.  The particles were initially randomly distributed within a Xmin Ymin Xmax Ymax domain.  The particles are then start to move toward a magnetic source.  I can done calculating the positions of each partcile at each time step.  What format should I use so that paraview can handle ploting/animate the positions of the particles? (the particle sizes are also randomly distributed, it will be nice to show the particle size based on the same scaling).

I made up 10 csv files each with x,y,z,d.  Each csv corresponds to each time step.  I am using paraview 3.6.1 (MS windows version).

the filenames are output1.csv, output2.csv, output3.csv....

When I first opened the files, I chose output..csv (I think that this will open all the csv files).  Hit apply, I got output* in the pipeline browser.
Then, I did filter/TableToPoints and chose the X Column, Y Column, Z Column. Hit apply.
Then did "Split Horizontal" to create a new display window and select "3D View".
Then, Filter/Glyph. change Glyph type to sphere, change scale mode to scalar, hit apply.

This got me all the particles with correct size.
However, when I press "Play" button to animate, I got the following error:

ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\VTK\Graphics\vtkTableToPolyData.cxx, line 111
vtkTableToPolyData (06CC5D88): Failed to locate  the columns to use for the point coordinates

ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\VTK\Filtering\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 757
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (06CC6028): Algorithm vtkTableToPolyData(06CC5D88) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (06C661F0)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 314249
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

If I open each .csv file indivisually and go through the steps above (without the animation), I got a nice plot of the particles.  So, each csv file seems to be fine.

Did I miss any step so that animation does not work?

Pei

I attached the csv file I made up so that you can check if the csv files are not correctly formatted.