[Paraview] compiling ParaView on Windows

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Sep 25 07:49:09 EDT 2008

> 1) Can I compile my plugin as a DLL, that can be loaded with the downloaded
> windows binary?

Yes.

> 2) Is that version compiled with MinGW or Visual Studio?

Visual Studio 2003. If this is a pain for most people, I can switch to
something newer.

> 3) If it's Visual Studio, can it use the QT compiled with MinGW? I see that
> to get QT compiled with Visual Studio, I have to have the Commercial
> Version, not the Open Source version.

For 3.2.X, you have to use the commercial Qt of the same version I
used. You can check the version from the help app (assistant) I
believe. I used the commercial binaries from the Trolltech web site.
There has been discussions on how to use the open-source Qt to build
plugins on the mailing list and if I remember correctly, it is
possible with some tweaking of Qt source.

People asked me to switch to the open-source Qt to build binaries. I
have been using those since 3.3. Open-source Qt can be built using
Visual Studio using the source from Trolltech's download page since
4.3. For older versions, see
http://paraview.org/Wiki/Obtaining_GPL%27ed_Qt_for_Windows. We will
have 3.4.0 very soon (in a week or two) so you may want to wait a bit.

-berk