[Paraview] SafeDownCast to vtkDoubleArray fails

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at kitware.com
Sun Sep 21 11:49:00 EDT 2008

Natalie Happenhofer wrote:
> Hi!
> I need to cast my Point Data to a vtkDoubleArray, but it fails:
>
> vtkPointData *scaldat = input -> GetPointData();
> vtkDoubleArray *scalars = vtkDoubleArray::New();
> scalars = vtkDoubleArray::SafeDownCast(scaldat);
> if(!scalars) vtkErrorMacro("SafeDownCast to vtkDoubleArray failed");
PointData is not an array, it's a container of arrays. To get one of its
arrays see the GetArray methods.
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkFieldData.html#888a6492210426d4ba4d358b87ab198f

To find this in the documentation you would have to use the inheritance
diagrams. PointData "is a" DataSetAttibutes "is a" FieldData and so on.