[Paraview] filter as plugin

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 17 14:39:29 EDT 2008

Dependent on the platform, the plugins must be copied to a specific directory.
Or you can define a custom one via an env variable (PV_INTERFACE_PATH or
something like this)
- Dominik

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 08:29:11 pm Natalie Happenhofer wrote:
> Hi!
> I want to add my new filter as a plugin to paraview so I can debug it and
> do not need to build paraview new when I change something in the source. I
> did the following:
>
> I placed my source code vktHorizontalAverage.h, vtkHorizontalAverage.cxx in
> the directory C:\ParaviewSource\ParaView3\Plugins
>
> I added a HorizontalAverageServerManagerXML.xml file which looks like this:
> <ServerManagerConfiguration>
>  <ProxyGroup name="filters">
>        <SourceProxy name="HorizontalAverage" class="vtkHorizontalAverage"
> label="Horizontal Average"> <Documentation>
>     This filter subtracts the horizontal average of the values on each
> point of the grid so that disturbances are seen more easily.
> </Documentation>
>     <InputProperty name="Input"
>            command="SetInputConnection">
>        <ProxyGroupDomain name="groups">
>          <Group name="sources"/>
>          <Group name="filters"/>
>        </ProxyGroupDomain>
>        <DataTypeDomain name="input_type">
>          <DataType value="vtkDataSet"/>
>        </DataTypeDomain>
>     </InputProperty>
>     </SourceProxy>
>  </ProxyGroup>
> </ServerManagerConfiguration>
>
> and I added to the CMakeLists.txt - file the following lines:
> INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(
>   ${VTK_INCLUDE_DIR}
>   ${PARAVIEW_INCLUDE_DIRS}
> )
>
> ADD_PARAVIEW_PLUGIN(HorizontalAverage "1.0"
>   SERVER_MANAGER_XML HorizontalAverageServerManagerXML.xml
>   SERVER_MANAGER_SOURCES vtkHorizontalAverage.cxx)
>
> Well, everything compiled neatly and linked, but when I start Paraview, in
> the menu Filters/Alphabetical there is no button for my filter as there
> should be..
>
> Do you know what I got wrong?
>
> thx,
> NH

Dominik Szczerba, Ph.D.
Computational Physics Group
Foundation for Research on Information Technologies in Society
http://www.itis.ethz.ch