[Paraview] slow rendering speed

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 10 09:09:49 EDT 2008

First, let me just say that you should not expect the parallel rendering of
such a small data set to be faster than just rendering it locally.  The
parallel rendering has a constant overhead involving the readback of pixels,
the transfer of data, and the computation of compositing operations.

That said, based on the error it looks like your DISPLAY environment is set
wrong.  You should be connecting to localhost:0.0, not localhost:10.0.  You
are probably forwarding all of your rendering commands back to the desktop
you logged in from though ssh forwarding.  That, of course, will really slow
things down because all the rendering commands are being shoved through the
network and all are being processed on a single machine.

Make sure that you are actually rendering to the local GPU.  See the
ParaView Wiki for more advice.

  http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server

-Ken